Beavers: licences for land management

Most day to day land-management operations where beavers are found are unlikely to require a licence. However, if your actions are likely to affect the animals themselves or if they involve interfering with or removing dams or damaging or destroying lodges or breeding burrows, then a licence will be required. Our guidance for land managers describes what does and does not require a licence and provides information on how to apply.

A licence can only be granted if you can meet the three strict European protected species licensing tests.

How to apply

Fill in the application form and email it to [email protected].

Download the Licence application form - beavers

Read our Guidance for land managers and on ecological and legal definitions for beavers to see whether you are likely to need a licence.

Licence returns

A condition of any licence is that you must submit a licence return to us.

You should submit your return information using our licence return form - beavers for works affecting beavers. Email us your completed form, giving your name and licence number in the subject line.

Licence changes and renewals

You should get in touch if you wish to amend a licence. But check your licence conditions first: you may be able to appoint agents and assistants without having to get them named on your licence.

Find out about adding persons to a licence.

You must also remember to contact us to renew your licence. Licences aren’t renewed automatically.

Find out more

Data Protection notice


If you already have a licence number, include it in the subject line of your email, or have it to hand when you call.

Licensing Team

01463 725364

[email protected]

Last updated: