Pygmy shrew ©David Whitaker, Highland WIldlife PhotographyFor information on reproduction rights contact the Scottish Natural Heritage Image Library on Tel. 01738 444177 or

Shrews and licensing

You must be licensed if you plan to trap shrews for scientific, research or educational purposes or may accidentally do so during a survey.

Shrews receive partial protection under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended). So it’s an offence to intentionally or recklessly trap shrews.

You should apply to us for a licence if you:

  • live-trap small mammals for survey or monitoring purposes and there’s an unavoidable risk that you will catch shrews
  • intend to trap shrews for scientific, research or educational purposes

To apply for a licence, email [email protected].

You should include:

Read about Shrews: Trapping Guidelines

Licence changes and renewals

You should get in touch if you wish to amend a licence. But check your licence conditions first: you may be able to appoint agents and assistants without having to get them named on your licence.

Find out about adding persons to a licence.

You must also remember to contact us to renew your licence. Licences aren’t renewed automatically.


If you already have a licence number, include it in the subject line of your email, or have it to hand when you call.

Licensing Team
Telephone: 01463 725 364
Email: [email protected]

Find out more

Data Protection notice

Last updated: