National Performance Framework
NatureScot reports annually on the Scottish Government’s behalf in relation to progress on certain natural heritage indicators.
The Scottish Government measures its progress in achieving its ambitions for Scotland through the National Performance Framework (NPF).
The framework sets out the aim for Scotland through 5 Strategic Objectives with 11 National Outcomes help achieve it's purpose. These describe the kind of Scotland the framework aims to create. The progress of these outcomes is measured through 81 National Indicators which give a measure of national wellbeing. They include a range of economic, social and environmental indicators.
The overall purpose of the Scottish Government
Creating a more successful country, with opportunities for all of Scotland to flourish, through increasing sustainable economic growth.
Our contribution to the NPF
We lead on reporting against three Scottish Government National Indicators:
- NI44: Condition of protected nature sites
- NI45: Biodiversity: Terrestrial Abundance
- NI46: Natural Capital
We also contribute data and support to two other National Indicators:
Our work – helping to deliver well-managed natural assets – also directly affects the delivery of at least 5 of the 11 National Outcomes.
National Outcomes affected by the delivery of our corporate plan are:
- Economy : We have a globally competitive, entrepreneurial, inclusive and sustainable economy
- Environment : We value, enjoy, protect and enhance our environment
- Health : We are healthy and Active
- Education : We are well educated, skilled and able to contribute to society
- Communities : We live in communities that are inclusive, empowered, resilient and safe
The health of natural ecosystems also underpins other National Outcomes for a range of reasons:
- Children & Young People : We grow up loved, safe and respected so that we realise our full potential
- Culture : We are creative and our vibrant and diverse cultures are expressed and enjoyed widely
- Fair Work & Business : We have a thriving and innovative businesses with quality jobs and fair work for everyone
- Human Rights : We respect and fulfil human rights and live free from discrimination
- International : We are open, connected and make a positive contribution internationally
- Poverty : We tackle poverty by sharing opportunities, wealth and power more equally
As these outcomes emerge they also reinforce our work towards a brighter future for all.