We are Scotland’s nature agency. We work to improve our natural environment in Scotland and inspire everyone to care more about it.
So that all nature in Scotland – our key habitats and landscapes, all our green space and our native species – is maintained, enhanced and brings us benefits.
It is the job of all of us to achieve a balance in the sensitive management of our natural world in order to maintain and enhance biodiversity.
Before you submit your enquiry please check below to see if we are the right organisation to help you with it, or see the relevant information on our website by using our 'search' facility.
Different organisations all have different areas of responsibility. To assist you we have put together a basic guide to what each organisation does. This is not intended as a detailed breakdown of legal duties.
If you cannot find what you require, please return to our Contact us page.
Your local authority
Your local Police
- Wildlife crime
- Abandoned vehicles
- Road obstructions
Crown Estate Scotland
- Development consent for fish farms (special arrangements exist in Orkney and Shetland)
Drinking Water Quality Regulator
Drinking water quality
Environment and Heritage Service
- Environmental issues in Northern Ireland
- Environmental issues in England and Wales
Fish Health Inspectorate (part of Fisheries Research Service)
Marine and fisheries Scotland
Historic Environment Scotland
- Built environment
Marine Coastguard Agency
- Pollution from shipping and offshore installations
Natural Resources Wales
- Environmental issues in Wales
- Legislation and policy for the environment in Scotland
- Navigational consent for fish farms
- Genetically modified organisms
- Environmental legislation and initiatives in areas including sustainable development and rural policy
- Guiding delegated agencies in delivering objectives
- Liaising with UK government and EC on wider environmental policies
- Quality and supply of public drinking water
- Disposing of and treating sewage
- Flooding from sewers
- Emptying septic tanks (some private businesses also offer this service)
- Gas leaks
- Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
– Legislation and policy in England and Wales
- Department of Business Skills and Innovation
– Offshore oil and gas industry (except for radioactivity)
– Coastal pollution from offshore installations
- Department for Transport
– Transport of radioactive waste
- Veterinary Medicines Directorate
– Assuring the safety, quality and effectiveness of veterinary medicines