Muir of Dinnet NNR - About the reserve
Muir of Dinnet NNR is managed to provide a range of habitats, including woodland and heath.
Managing habitats and inspiring people
Muir of Dinnet NNR lies just within the eastern boundary of the Cairngorms National Park, close to the village of Dinnet. It lies in the heart of Deeside – a popular tourist destination – on the western edge of the Howe of Cromar. The reserve extends from the River Dee to the high slopes of Culblean Hill and covers approximately 1,163 hectares.
The sheer variety of habitats and landforms makes this an amazing place for wildlife and people alike. There are heaths, kettle hole lochs, bogs, eskers, mixed woodlands and the Vat itself.
Heath and woodland habitat
Our management priorities are to restore and extend the heath – including the rare bearberry heath, mires and peatlands. Work will focus on managing the vegetation and scrub encroaching onto these habitats.
For the peatlands we aim to restore the water table. We want to improve the diversity of the woodlands, increasing the area of aspen – rare in this area of Scotland. We will manage the lochs and wetlands to create the best conditions for the wildlife that depends on them.
Engaging people with nature
We manage the visitor centre to provide information about the reserve and its rich natural heritage. We also manage the network of paths through the reserve, making it easy for visitors to enjoy the reserve responsibly.
Through events, educational visits and volunteering, we engage with people and give them opportunities to get involved with nature.
We plan our management carefully to make sure that the special qualities of the reserve thrive. In this way it will always give visitors an enjoyable experience and engage people with nature.
We produce 10-year management plans for our reserves. Find out more about how we manage Muir of Dinnet NNR:
- The Management Plan – sets out our priorities and tasks for managing the reserve between 2014 and 2024.
- The Reserve Story – an introduction to the natural heritage, historical interest, past management and designations which protect the reserve.
- Consultation Report on the Management Plan for Muir of Dinnet – a summary of the responses received during the consultation in 2014.
- The Reserve Plan Review – an overview of our management of the reserve during the last plan.
Muir of Dinnet NNR overlaps with a number of protected areas:
- Muir of Dinnet Ramsar Site
- Muir of Dinnet Special Area of Conservation
- Muir of Dinnet Special Protection Area
- Muir of Dinnet Site of Special Scientific Interest
- River Dee Special Area of Conservation
Find out more about these protected areas and their designated features by searching the map.
Find out more on
- Visiting the reserve
- Visiting the reserve leaflet
- Getting Involved
- Visit more of our nature reserves