Update: the car parks at Kinshaldy (Forestry and Land Scotland) and Morton Lochs are now open.
- Maintain hand hygiene
- Follow physical distancing guidelines
While you are out and about, please take extra care to follow the Scottish Outdoor Access Code.
Thank you for your patience and support; we look forward to welcoming you back safely.
An ever-changing landscape
The landscape at Tentsmuir National Nature Reserve (NNR) changes almost as you watch. The reserve has the full spectrum of coastal habitats – from constantly moving sand at the edge of the sea to the colourful dune heathland. Seals haul themselves out of the water to watch the world go by, and hungry birds feed on the rich mix of food in the mudflats.
Inland, discover the hidden gem of Morton Loch, a mosaic of wetland and woodland. Here, search for birds, such as the shy teal dabbling at the water’s edge, and the elusive otter.
Whether you want to explore the paths and trails, take a leisurely walk along the beach or lookout for rarities in one of the bird hides, Tentsmuir has it all.
Find out more about visiting Tentsmuir NNR.
- Watch waders and wildfowl gathering at Tentsmuir Point.
- Spot the colourful flash of kingfishers at Morton Lochs.
- At dusk, you could spot up to five species of bat.
- Follow our trails to explore the beaches, lochs and woods.
- Watch seals resting on the sandbanks.
- Explore the Time Line Trail to discover fascinating history.
Find out more about the reserve and its natural history.
Visit our Events page to see what upcoming events you can get involved in at this reserve.
Reserve manager: Marijke Leith
Find out more
Discover more about why Scotland’s National Nature Reserves were created and the partners who manage them.
Keep up to date on our @Tentsmuir NNR Facebook page.
Follow our NNR Facebook page for up-to-date information on reserves across Scotland.
Follow NatureScot’s Scotland’s Nature blog and find interesting articles on Scotland’s natural heritage.
Enjoyed your visit?
- Make a donation to support nature and visitor facilities on our NNRs.
- Let us know what you thought on TripAdvisor.