Wildcats: licences for land management

A licence is required to carry out any land management activity that could affect wildcats or their dens.

Most land management practices are unlikely to affect wildcats or their dens. But you should apply to us for a licence if your work could otherwise result in an offence in relation to wildcats. Changes in the environment, such as forestry operations, may affect wildcats.

A licence can only be granted if you can meet the three strict European protected species licensing tests.

How to apply

To apply for a licence to permit development, email [email protected].

You should include:

  • your name, address and telephone number
  • full details of your project – covering what and who will be involved, and where and when
  • supporting information – e.g. details of any wildcat survey carried out and a species protection plan

Read the Guidance notes for application for a licence for European protected species

Read the Guidance notes on providing supporting information for a licence for European protected species

Licence changes and renewals

You should get in touch if you wish to amend a licence. But check your licence conditions first: you may be able to appoint agents and assistants without having to get them named on your licence.

Find out about adding persons to a licence.

You must also remember to contact us to renew your licence. Licences aren’t renewed automatically.

Find out more

Data Protection notice


If you already have a licence number, include it in the subject line of your email, or have it to hand when you call.

Licensing Team

01463 725364

[email protected]

Last updated: