There is a large amount of information associated with your Peatland ACTION project, including a lot of spatial data. Spatial data include things such as maps and survey records from specific locations. These data are important for assessing restoration plans at the start of a project and reporting the outcomes at the end. They are also used for monitoring the effectiveness of different restoration activities.
To be able to use these data efficiently, we need them to be complete and submitted in a consistent format. To achieve this, we have created a set of templates and instructions to help you create, edit and submit your spatial data (including maps, peat depth, hydrology, vegetation and habitat condition). These can be found below.
- Maps can be sent to us either as shapefiles or kmz files – image maps can be included but are not sufficient on their own.
- Shapefiles can be created in GIS software, if you have access to this, and shapefile templates are provided below.
- KMZ files can be created from maps drawn in Google Earth or Google My Maps. Instructions on how to create suitable files are described in the document “Spatial data guidance – read me first”.
- The spreadsheet template contains tabs for multiple data types, including vegetation and peat depth, however, you only need to fill in the information relevant to your project.
- Peat depth data can also be submitted independently using the peat depth template provided.
- The spatial data glossary describes the type of data you can submit and what fields are required for each feature.
- Please also complete the metadata template and send this together with your main data – metadata is a set of information that describes your dataset, such as who collected it and what format it is in, which helps ensure the data are used correctly.
Templates (zip files)
- ArcGIS Desktop - template
- ArcGISPro - template
- QGIS - template
- Shapefiles - template
- Spreadsheet - template
- SNH Geospatial Metadata - template
- Peat depth - template
Peatland Action 2019 - 2020 - Spatial data - ArcGIS Desktop - Instruction notes to accompany template